Using autoaudio{source,sink} works. I'll set this to Invalid then.

** Changed in: gstreamer0.10 (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gstreamer0.10 in Ubuntu.

  No way to get default audio and video sinks using either gconf or
  gsettings on an Oneiric install

Status in “gstreamer0.10” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  gstreamer pipelines using either gconfaudiosink or gconfvideosink to
  get the default system audio or video sinks no longer work in Oneiric.

  Steps to reproduce:

  1- Install gstreamer-tools
  2- Run this test pipeline
    gst-launch audiotestsrc ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! gconfaudiosink

  On Natty, this produces a test tone.

  on Oneiric, it fails:

  WARNING: erroneous pipeline: no element "gconfaudiosink"

  There are two solutions to this problem, but both require installing
  additional packages:

  1- Install gstreamer0.10-gconf
  2- Change the pipeline to use gsettingsaudiosink and gsettingsvideosink
(where appropriate). This seems to be "the new way" to do things, through
gsettings. Unfortunately, the libgstgsettingselements.so library which provides
these is NOT in the default-installed gstreamer0.10-plugins-good, but in
gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad, which needs to also be installed explicitly.

    gst-launch audiotestsrc ! audioconvert ! audioresample !
  gsettingsaudiosink

  It seems to me like gstreamer pipelines with default-specified sinks should
work out-of-the-box.

  This tested under Oneiric with updates as of 2011-08-12.