Why do you think this should be the default behavior. If another user is
logged in, the system should of course prevent a reboot or shutdown.

Packages, which is subscribed to policykit-desktop-privileges in Ubuntu.

  PolicyKit does not allow you to reboot when others are logged in

Status in “policykit-desktop-privileges” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “policykit-desktop-privileges” source package in Quantal:

  Hi,

  The default behavior for someone trying to reboot or even shutdown a
  system when someone else is logged in is to just to log them out kick
  them back to the login screen, without even explaining. For instance,
  I set up two separate accounts on my then girlfriend's machine. She
  was an admin, I was not. Whenever I would use the machine, I would log
  in, sometimes I forgot to log out. Then, as a novice user, she would
  not be able to shutdown the machine. I wound up having to teach her
  how to open a terminal and issue 'sudo poweroff' in order for her to
  override it.

  We've received a request to change this for an OEM, and on their pre-
  install images we have a policy that allows you to power off even if
  someone else is logged in. We used the instructions here:
  http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11901595&postcount=7

  I'd like to get this into Ubuntu proper, seems like policykit-desktop-
  privileges is the perfect place for it.