That unveiled the issue, I had installed ricotz's ppa a while back and
removed it after a few days but apparently the ppa was not completely
purged. I added it again and purged it again and the package was
properly downgraded and the missing key was added to the schema. Feel
very noobish!

  Brightness and Lock option in System Settings crashes because of
  glib's schema missing key

Status in “gnome-control-center” package in Ubuntu:

  When launching the gnome-control-center and selecting the "Brightness
  and Lock" option the application crashes with the following error:

  (gnome-control-center:9686): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema
'org.gnome.desktop.screensaver' does not contain a key named
'show-notifications'
  Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

  Apparently the issue is simply resolved (or worked around) by editing
  the glib schema file org.gnome.desktop.screensaver.gschema.xml, adding
  the missing key that it is complaining about and recompiling the glib
  schemas.