On your laptop, the HDMI is only controlled by the discrete GPU.

** Changed in: xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in Ubuntu.

  i915 hdmi and vga output not working

Status in “xserver-xorg-video-intel” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: xserver-xorg-video-intel

  I have a problem connecting an external monitor to my dell vostro 3700, with
kubuntu 11.04 beta
  When plugging a vga or hdmi cable, the kernel detects the new device and kde
propose the configuration utility.
  The external monitor is correctly detected and I can configure the monitor -
however the monitor remains black and detects no input signal.

  Without an xorg.conf and hdmi plugged in X starts with a wrong resolution
(1024x768 isntead of 1600x900)
  The size&orientation system settings applet says this is no multiple monitor
setup.

  So I created the attached xorg.conf but with no success, the external
  monitor remains black. This Laptop has a hybrid GPU intel/nvidia.

  I also tried to activate the monitor with xrandr but with no success.

  System Details:
   lsb_release -rd
  Release:        11.04

  lspci -vv | grep -i vga
          Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
          Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
          BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR- NoISA- VGA- MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B-
  00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 18) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
[...]
  01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT216 [GeForce GT 330M]
(rev a2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
          Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
          Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
          Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
          Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
          Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
          Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
          Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
          Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+

  cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
  Section "Device"
           Identifier "Configured Video Device"
           Option "monitor-LVDS1" "LVDS"
           Option "monitor-HDMI1" "Extern"
  EndSection

  Section "Monitor"
           Identifier "LVDS"
           Option "PreferredMode" "1600x900"
           Option "Left Of" "Extern"
  EndSection

  Section "Monitor"
           Identifier "Extern"
           Option "PreferredMode" "1920x1200"
   EndSection

  Section "Screen"
           Identifier "Default Screen"
           Device "Configured Video Device"
           DefaultDepth 24
           SubSection "Display"
               Depth 24
               Virtual 2880 1200
           EndSubSection
  EndSection

  Section "ServerLayout"
           Identifier "Default Layout"
           Screen "Default Screen"
  EndSection

  lsmod | grep i915
  i915                  514985  2
  drm_kms_helper         42136  1 i915
  drm                   227495  3 i915,drm_kms_helper
  i2c_algo_bit           13400  1 i915
  video                  19438  1 i915