This bug is still present in Libre Office 4.0.0.3 (tested on Ubuntu
12.04 64-bit fully updated; LO 4.0.0.3 deb files downloaded from the
Libre Office website and installed using dpkg).

I can elaborate on the original bug report:

1) It affects not only the Styles dialogue, but also the Navigator
dialogue.

2) It happens not only with Paste Special, but also other actions such
as F7 (spell check) or adding an image.

  [Upstream] Writer cursor focus on "paste special"goes to Styles and
  Formatting window

Status in LibreOffice Productivity Suite:
  Unknown
Status in “libreoffice” package in Ubuntu:

  Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (64 bit)
  libreoffice-writer:
    Installed: 1:3.5.3-0ubuntu1

  With the "Styles and Formatting" dialog open as a separate window,
  when I do a "Paste Special" into the current document, immediately
  after the paste, cursor focus goes to the "Styles and Formatting"
  window, instead of remaining in the document. A recording of this
  problem may be found at

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libreoffice/+bug/999269/+attachment/3161034/+files/focus_prob.ogv
  .

  + Not reproducible in Xubuntu.

   lsb_release -rd
  Release:      12.04

  apt-cache policy libreoffice-writer
  libreoffice-writer:
    Installed: 1:3.5.3-0ubuntu1
    Candidate: 1:3.5.3-0ubuntu1
    Version table:
   *** 1:3.5.3-0ubuntu1 0
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main i386
Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       1:3.5.2-2ubuntu1 0
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise/main i386 Packages

  Package: libreoffice (not installed)
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  Date: Mon May 14 13:39:28 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
(20120425)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, user)