This dumb little problem has an easy fix.
1. log on and you will see the list of possible desktop environments.
2. mouse click the one you want. Prior to Ubuntu 12.10, when you did this, the
one you chose appeared in a rectangle, so you knew that when you gave your
password, you knew you were logging onto what you wanted. Now for some reason,
this doesn't happen. When you mouse click on what you want, nothing happens -
the dropdown list stays as if you haven't selected anything. What you don't
realize is that your selection has been noted, and off the screen there is an
OK box waiting for your confirmation.
3. Press TAB twice, which highlights the OK box that you can't see.
4. Press ENTER
... and you are in!

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  Can't select any desktop except unity

Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu:

  Whichever desktop environment is selected in lightdm you always end up
  in Unity! I've tried with LXDE, XFCE, Gnome and KDE but all I ever get
  is unity.

  Steps:
  In the login screen click the small Ubuntu logo
  Select a desktop environment, not Unity
  Enter you password
  Click the > to login

  Result:
  You get logged straight into Unity

  Expected Result:
  To be logged into the desktop environment selected.

  Versions:
  Ubuntu 12.10 fully updated
  lightdm  1.4.0-0ubuntu2