same on ubuntu 12.10 with ati radeon 7470m
i can change brightness fn keys but no notification appears

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-power-manager in Ubuntu.

  Brightness notification does not work

Status in “gnome-power-manager” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: notify-osd

  moomex@moomex-PC:~$ apt-cache policy notify-osd
  notify-osd:
    Installed: 0.9.14.1-0ubuntu1

  When changing the display’s backlight’s brightness using keyboard
  hotkeys, the change in brightness should be shown in a confirmation
  bubble using notify-osd. Instead, notify-osd does not show anything
  when changing the brightness of the screen. Everything works fine
  (volume, network, IM, etc ) except for brightness.

  The laptop I'm using is HP Pavilion dv2000 with nvidia graphic card.
  I'm  not sure if this bug is under notify-osd or gnome-power-manager;
  however, changing the brightness using keyboard hotkeys does work but
  without notification bubble.

  P.S. Same behaviour is also observed in Ubuntu Jaunty.