Public bug reported:

After upgrading to ubuntu 12.04, PG9.1 was running ok alongside the live 8.4.
A recent migration effort using 'pg_upgradecluster 8.4 main' ran ok until
'Starting target cluster on the original port...'
when I got
The PostgreSQL server failed to start. Please check the log output
ERROR: Could not start targt cluster; please check configuration and log files.

After resetting the port numbers for 8.4 and 9.1, 8.4 is working ok, but
I cannot get 9.1 to start again, and cannot spot any problem in the
config. files.  The log files (when finally found) gave no help.

I propose to apt-get purge postgresql-9.1, then reinstall, then simply
load my data into 9.1 from datadumps.  But will this be sufficient? And
would the current settings be helpful before I do?

 lsb_release -rd
Release:        12.04

 apt-cache policy postgresql-common
postgresql-common:
  Installed: 129ubuntu1
  Candidate: 129ubuntu1
  Version table:
 *** 129ubuntu1 0
        500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main i386
Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     129 0
        500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise/main i386 Packages

** Affects: postgresql-common (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to postgresql-common in Ubuntu.

  pg_upgradecluster (8.4 to 9.1) failed

Status in “postgresql-common” package in Ubuntu: