Uh, still no traction on this bug? This is horrible..

  Can't assign keybinding Ctrl-Alt-w

Status in GNOME Control Center:
  Fix Released
Status in “gnome-control-center” package in Ubuntu:

  In 12.04, I am unable to assign the keyboard shortcut Ctrl-Alt-w to
  anything.

  For example, if I go to System Settings - Keyboard - Shortcuts and try
  to modify the keybinding for "Launch Web Browser" to Ctrl-Alt-w, the
  window just returns to the main System Settings screen and the new
  keybinding is not assigned.

  This was with a fresh install of 12.04.  Tried it with a new user as
  well and the same problem exists.  I was able to do so without any
  issues in 11.10.

  This may be related to the issue in
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-control-
  center/+bug/863549.