** No longer affects: firefox-3.0 (Ubuntu)

  Firefox 3: Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Update options initially
  editable

Status in “firefox” package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: mozilla-firefox

  If you go under Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Update and choose "Ask
  Me what I want to do" the corresponding radio button group is
  disabled, so the setting cannot be changed, however initially it was
  possible to make a choice.

  Steps to reproduce:

  1. Start Firefox
  2. Click  Edit > Preferences to bring up preferences dialog
  3. Click  Advanced > Update
  4. Under "When updates to firefox are found" choose "Ask Me what I want to do"
  5. The "When updates to firefox are found" becomes disabled (see included
screenshot) and the setting cannot be changed back again

  I expect the radio buttons under "When updates to firefox are found"
  to remain active.

  The buttons remain inactive even after Firefox is restarted.

  This does not appear to be an upstream bug, since Firefox 3.0.1 does
  not have this issue under Windows.

  Firefox version:
  Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008072820
Firefox/3.0.1

  Firefox package version:
  3.0.1+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.8.04.3

  Ubuntu version: Ubuntu 8.04.1 AMD64 Desktop