the issue is an apparmor one, see bug #964510

   Evince cannot open HTTP link in Google Chrome or chromium-browser

Packages, which is subscribed to evince in Ubuntu.

  Clicking on URL fails when Chromium is the default browser

Status in “evince” package in Ubuntu:

  When I open a PDF with some url links on it, I cannot open them
  through Evince (it does not launch a new browser window/tab). This
  only happens when Chromium is the default web browser. If I set the
  default to Firefox, the links open correctly.

  If I open the pdf from the terminal, once I click on a link I get the
following message:
  /usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser-sandbox: error while loading
shared libraries: libpthread.so.0: failed to map segment from shared object:
Permission denied

  I'm not really sure if this is a problem from Evince or Chromium, but
  other applications which also allow to open links on click work well
  with Chromium.

  How to reproduce:

  * Having Chromium as default browser;
  * Open any PDF with an url link on it (http://...)
  * Click on the link or left click -> "Open URL"

  Expected behavior: after clicking on an URL, a browser window should open.
  What happens: none window appears; error message on terminal.

  Ubuntu release: Ubuntu 12.04.2 64bit
  Evince version: 3.4.0-0ubuntu1.5