** Changed in: unity

** Tags added: nvidia

  Unity dash becomes very slow/laggy when opening certain webpages
  (Launchpad) in Firefox

Status in Unity:
  Confirmed
Status in “firefox” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “nvidia-graphics-drivers” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu:

  Hello,

  the problem I'm reporting here is actually a weird interaction between
  the Nvidia propritary driver, Firefox and Unity, so I'm not sure if I
  should have reported it against Firefox or Nvidia driver instead.

  With the propritary Nvidia driver installed, the following happens:
  - When I visit certain webpages in Firefox, scrolling through
them/interacting with them becomes very slow and laggy. The most prominent
example are all kinds of paged from launchpad.net, e.g.
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs, or a random bug report page. This problem
exists as long as I can remember (5 years?!), regardless of the version of
Firefox or Nvidia driver.
  - In Oneiric, there is an additional interaction of this slowness/laginess
with Unity: If one of those "slow" pages is opened in Firefox as currently
selected tab (e.g. a bugreport) and I press 'Super' to reveal the dash and
launcher, they take a rather long time to appear in contrast to the normal
behaviour and the animation is also slow and laggy (if the dash has come up, it
works fine and sleek as usual, so it's the process of the dash/launcher coming
up that is slow).
  - Interestingly I don't experience this slowness of dash/launcher if I reveal
them via mouse (hovering to the left screen side and clicking the dash button).

  The slowness of certain webpages only happens in Firefox (not in
  Chromium for example), and only if propritary Nvidia drivers are
  installed, with Nouveau drivers this "slow pages" phenomenon
  disappears in Firefox too.

  The additonal problem with the Dash in Oneric may seem small, but it can be
rather annoying when trying to write bug reports for example.
  In Natty there is no such slowness when opening the dash via 'Super' and a
"slow" web page is opened, so I reported it to Unity in hope that there may be
an easy workaround.
  But the best thing of course would be if this "slow pages" issue would be
fixed in Firefox and/or the Nvidia driver (the latter is of course beyond
control of anyone not working for Nvidia :-(   ).

  Kind regards,
  Jan

  Package: unity 4.16.0-0ubuntu2
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu1
  Architecture: amd64
  CompizPlugins: No value set for
`/apps/compiz-1/general/screen0/options/active_plugins'