I'm also affected on Ubuntu 13.04 with gnome fallback.

  menu disappears if mouse is not held down

Status in “gnome-session” package in Ubuntu:

  I have Ubuntu 12.04 and "Gnome Classic" installed (and this only
  happens in Gnome Classic mode).

  When I Select a main menu (Applications->Internet, or any other menu
  Item) a sub-menu pops up with all the goodies you would expect. If I
  then click on the main menu item (Internet) again the sub menus
  disappear (just like I would expect). If I click the main menu item
  (Internet) a third time the sub menu is displayed ONLY if the mouse
  button is HELD down.

  Is there a way to have the sub menus operate like they did on
  10.04LTS. That is every time you click AND release on the main menu
  item, the sub menu toggles between visible and hidden. No need to hold
  down the mouse button.

  Thanks for any help!