It's happening in Firefox 20 too. Disabling the globalmenu extension
solves the problem.

  Firefox 19 unresponsive for a few seconds if using the globalmenu
  extension

Status in “firefox” package in Ubuntu:

  I'm using firefox 19 with the globalmenu extension. After selecting
  the firefox window, the first attempt to interact with the program
  (i.e. open or close tab, select a tab, scroll down the webpage etc.)
  makes the program unresponsive and the CPU runs at 100% for a few
  seconds. Afterwards, the required action is performed and the program
  works fine until the focus is moved to another window and back to the
  firefox window, then the problem appears again. I've noticed that
  disabling the globalmenu extension solves the problem.

  I'm on Ubuntu 12.10 with

  unity 6.12.0
  firefox 19.0
  firefox-globalmenu 19.0 (in the firefox add-ons page is described as Global
Menu Bar Integration 3.7.1)