After switching to Ubuntu 12.04 I use Vlc only with ALSA, so this bug is
not affecting me any more. Thus, I changed the status to Invalid.

** Changed in: pulseaudio (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  Crackling sound and higher CPU usage in VLC player using pulseaudio

Status in “pulseaudio” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: pulseaudio

  My systems run Ubuntu 10.04 64 Bit and 32 Bit (all clean install) and
  the problem is the same on both the laptop and the desktop computers.

  Crackling sound together with higher CPU usage occurs when playing
  some songs (mp3) or video (avi) in VLC player using pulseaudio plugin
  output. With some songs or videos crackling is more disturbing than
  with others, but I didn't find any pattern - anyway it seems that the
  sound is never totally clear. If output is changed to alsa, VLC uses
  alsa pulseaudio plugin and crackling is gone, but after some time
  audio automatically gets disabled and I need to disable sound track
  and than re-enable it again via VLC "Audio->Audio Track" menu
  (sometimes it doesn't help).

  I recently find a workaround which always works for both my computers
  - When I delete "~/.pulse" folder (this needs to be done after each
  restart of the computer) and then run VLC crackling is gone no matter
  which output I set (ALSA/Pulseaudio) and also audio track is not
  automatically disabled after some time.