Indeed this still happens with NM in Precise.  Usually, just restarting
NM is enough, though, no need to reboot the whole machine.

I'm not sure if it's NM's fault or wpa_supplicant's fault.  Every time
I've experienced this it has been related to networks protected with
wpa.

** Changed in: network-manager (Ubuntu)

  NM cannot change wireless networks

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:

  I have several wireless network available around me and I usually use
  one --- let us name it WNET A --- to update Ubuntu as it is the
  fastest and then there is another wireless network --- let us call it
  WNET B --- that I use to download other stuff as it is slow but has
  unlimited data.  My problem is that I cannot now move from WNET A to
  WNET B; Ubuntu just won't connect to the other wireless network; it
  just keeps on sticking to WNET A. I have tried other non-Ubuntu
  laptops to connect to WNET A and also to WNET B and they can do it
  without any hiccups...

  help urgently requested please...

  Cheers!
  Melq