What have just happened? I started originally with Linux Mint, then
added Debian as affected distribution then insted of Linux Mint Ubuntu
popped up and now Linux Mint is gone?

** Package changed: debian => ghostscript (Debian)

** Project changed: linuxmint => ghostscript (Ubuntu)

** No longer affects: ghostscript (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to ghostscript in Ubuntu.

  ghostscript version mismatch in 9.05~dfsg-6.2_amd64,
  "/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip failed"

Status in “ghostscript” package in Debian:

  I am running the latest UP 6 LMDE freshly installed, the mate edition.  This
is a wonderful distro and I am very fond of it , I should admit .
  However I found a weird bug in the ghostscript package

  2)  problems when trying to print, run gs,ps2pdf, atril (to view a postscript
doc)
  3) getting this:
  a) cannot print with cups (brother hl-2230),
  b) cannot view postscript files nor run gs/gv, nor ps2pdf utility getting the
versions mismatch:

   ghostscript: gs: Interpreter revision (871) does not match gs_init.ps
revision (905)
  c) when running "gs --version" or "ghostscript --version" get 8.71, which is
wrong, since 9.02 is installed according to dpkg-query

  4) Expecting to not have the problems above
  5) The problem happens all the time
  6) possible way to reproduce is:
  a) install the latest lmde 201303 (not the rc version)
  b) try adding and using a printer --> it won't
  c) try running gs/gv or viewing a postscript with gv or atril/evince, they
won't
  d) try ghostscript --version and get 8.71, which is wrong, since
9.05~dfsg-6.2 is installed.

  More info:

  I started  noticing some weird issues first with cups. I try to add a printer
(brother HL2230) and from the past experience I know which ppd file would work
with it (it did with my previous Ubuntu 10.04). Everything goes well until I
get to print something, it simply won't. I try different ppds and configs.
Nothing helps. Although cups debugging  is enabled, the logs won't give me much
clue, and I see that cups-admin would say something like "cups-filter error". I
try upgrading cups  and cups-filters using the sid repos, it won't help either.
  Interestingly and weirdly though, I got two other machines running lmde fully
updated without any cups problem -- I can print from them just fine.

  There is one difference though, lmde was installed before the  Update
  Pack 6 and then updated to it. It gives some clue, but not much, until
  I try viewing a postscript file. Atril (a mate-document-viewer) says
  it can't. What???? Then I try postscript tools like ps2pdf, gv  they
  all fail, saying that there is problem in the gs_init.ps file. I do

  gs --version and get "8.71"

   What??? I thoroughly check and see that there is only dfsg-6.2_amd64
  installed, the gs_init.ps wants of course 905. Hence the  versions
  mismatch. . I try reinstalling it, purging and removing the apt
  archive, it would insist on the "8.71" version. I check the other lmde
  machines and see they are using the same 9.05~dfsg-6.2_amd64 version.
  The I notice that it's they also have an earlier version 9.05~dfsg-
  6_amd64 in the apt archive.

  So I guessed that there might some incorrect configurations when
  9.05~dfsg-6.2_amd64 are installed afresh. So I add the sid repos to
  upgrade to 9.05~dfsg-6.3_amd64 and lo and behold this fixes it!

  Hence my WORKARAOUND:
  upgrade to ghostscript and ghostscript-{-x,cups} 9.05~dfsg-6.3_amd64 that is
now in Debian sid by adding in /etc/apt/sources.list:
  #sid repos
  deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free