Public bug reported:

I was applying a conditional format to a range including several hundred
cells when libreoffice Calc froze and then crashed. When I reopened
libreoffice, it asked if I wanted to recover several files. I knew
something was wrong because some of the files it asked to recover had
been closed over an hour before the crash while other files that had
been open were not on the list of recovered files. I clicked "ok" to
recover, and the file I had been working on when it crashed was a
version at least 2 hours old. I closed it without saving and opened the
same file but the version I had saved myself and found the version I had
saved around 15 minutes earlier. I similarly closed another Writer file
that I discovered was missing a lot of my updates and opened the one I
had saved to disk, finding that it only lacked a couple of my changes I
had made in the past few minutes.

So the bottom line is that the autosave files were at least two hours
old, even though I had manually saved both files numerous times in the
mean time. If I had saved the autosaved file, I would have overwritten
at least 2 hours worth of work. Although the crash had to do with Calc,
the antequated backup files included both Writer and Calc files. I have
my autosave options set to save once every 2 minutes.

Package: libreoffice 1:4.0.2-0ubuntu1
Uname: Linux 3.8.0-19-generic i686
ApportVersion: 2.9.2-0ubuntu8
Architecture: i386
Date: Mon Apr 29 21:46:19 2013
EcryptfsInUse: Yes
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release i386
(20120817.3)
MarkForUpload: True
SourcePackage: libreoffice
UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to raring on 2013-04-25 (4 days ago)

** Affects: libreoffice (Ubuntu)

** Tags: apport-bug i386 raring

  Autosave recovers a backup file several hours old after Calc-related
  crash

Status in “libreoffice” package in Ubuntu: