So, would this be the authoritative place I'd get the current code:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/raring/unity-greeter

???

If so, what environment would I want to pull it up in. Is it just text
files?

Then we'd need to locate in code where that little spin icon is in code,
and figure out how to make it actually spin.

We'd also want to locate the event where the password is submitted, and
change the cursor to something besides the static arrow upon submission.

Packages, which is subscribed to unity-greeter in Ubuntu.

  Dialog provides no feedback  after entering valid password

Status in “unity-greeter” package in Ubuntu:

  At the login screen, after typing the user's password and hitting
  enter, the password dialog behaves unexpectedly, leading the user into
  believing something went wrong.

  What currently happens:
  1- user enters password, hits enter
  2- Password box clears itself, and remains active
  3- Nothing happens for a second, making the user think he needs to try his
password again
  4- Desktop logs in

  What should happen:
  1- user enters password, hits enter
  2- Password remains in password box, password box becomes inactive
  4- Desktop logs in

  Package: unity-greeter 0.0.8-0ubuntu1
  ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu1
  Architecture: amd64