Just wanted to say thanks to everyone here - I had the same problem on a
Linaro Ubuntu version, flashed from an image, where it kept bypassing
the login screen and automatically logging in as "linaro" user; thanks
to the /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log, I confirmed it is lightdm forcing
that autologin - and finally in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf I noticed the
autologin line, commented it completely, rebooted - and it worked for
me!

Thanks again,
Cheers!

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  Can't cancel LightDM auto login

Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu:

  I have set up lightdm to auto login at the installation. But after
  that, I can't cancel it. It works for the other accounts I created
  after the installation was done, but not for the admin account created
  at the installation process.

  On user accounts at gnome control center, auto login shows as off but
  it does not ask for a password on the lightdm screen yet. This is my
  /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

  [SeatDefaults]
  user-session=ubuntu
  greeter-session=unity-greeter
  #autologin-user=
  autologin-user=

  Package: lightdm 1.2.1-0ubuntu1.1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.2.0-33.52-generic-pae 3.2.31
  Uname: Linux 3.2.0-33-generic-pae i686
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu14
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Sat Nov  3 23:38:33 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release i386
(20120423)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=pt_BR:pt:en
   PATH=(custom, no user)