So I came across this bug in Empathy today on Ubuntu Precise 12.04 LTS.

According to the GNOME bug report linked above, this is fixed in GNME
3.8. Could we get this fix backported to Precise since it is a LTS
release?

** Tags added: precise

Packages, which is subscribed to empathy in Ubuntu.

  Empathy does not support Google Application- Specific Passwords

Status in Chat app, and Telepathy user interface:
  Invalid
Status in “empathy” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: empathy

  Recently, Google introduced 2-Step Authentication[1] to make their
  users accounts more secure. This works by requesting that the user
  enter a randomly generated 6 digit number when they log in from an
  unknown computer for the first time. Since not every application
  supports this, they also introduced 'Application Specific Passwords'
  which is a randomly generated 16 character alpha-numeric one-time only
  password that it entered when connecting an application to a Google
  account for the first time.

  Since I have enabled 2-Step Authentication on my account, I am no
  longer able to sign into Google Talk using Empathy.

  [1] http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/advanced-sign-in-security-
  for-your.html

  Package: empathy 2.34.0-0ubuntu3
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.38-8.41-generic 2.6.38.2
  Uname: Linux 2.6.38-8-generic i686
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Fri Apr  8 13:13:34 2011
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" - Release i386 (20101007)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
   LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: empathy
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to natty on 2011-04-07 (0 days ago)