On 16/05/2013 16:47, John Lea wrote:
> @hyperair; In Unity 8 we will probably be completely removing
> average-icon-colour algorithm and either:
> - forcing all applications to pick a specific colour.

So what happens to applications which don't? You can't expect all upstreams to
bother about making Unity-specific changes, and it'll just look bad if their
launcher icons look bad in Unity.

> - Not having the concept of a Launcher tile background at all, and just
>   displaying an icon that covers the whole tile. If we take this approach we
>   would then use shaders on the icon for the launching 'pulse' effect, etc...

What about the filled-tile effect when applications are running? The small
triangles aren't very visible with this effect enabled, and it still requires a
tile background colour.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin

  Wrong background colour for nautilus icon in Unity launcher

Status in Ayatana Design:
  Invalid
Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
    affects ubuntu/unity

  As you can see in the screenshot, the nautilus icon appears to have a
maroon-ish
  background instead of the more appropriate blue in this case.

  This is in Raring's Unity, and the icon theme in use is "elementary-
  mono-dark".

  --
  Kind regards,
  Loong Jin