I tried out several things which I'll try to summarize:

Using the package fglrx-updates my "fglrxinfo" output was as follows:

display: :0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon (TM) HD 8500M/8700M
OpenGL version string: 4.2.12002 Compatibility Profile Context 12.104

I ran a glxgears test and average FPS was ~500.00

I then re-installed the FOSS drivers doing a full purge as described
here:
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Raring_Installation_Guide#Removing_Catalyst.2Ffglrx

Booted my system back up and ran the same glxgears and FPS was around
~50.00. I believe this is to be expected since proprietary drivers
should run better.

I re-installed "fglrx drivers" but this time I did NOT install "fglrx-
updates" package. My fglrxinfo output was:

display: :0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon (TM) HD 8500M/8700M
OpenGL version string: 4.2.12217 Compatibility Profile Context 12.104

(NOTICE how the OpenGL version string is now 4.2.12217 and not 4.2.12002
as in the "fglrx-updates" package)

I ran another glxgears benchmark and oh surprise my FPS climed all the
way up to ~1000.00.

I basically installed the fglrx drivers as per these instructions:
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Raring_Installation_Guide#Installing_Catalyst_Manually_.28from_AMD.2FATI.27s_site.29

Bottom line: FPS was a lot higher when NOT using fglrx-updates packages.

All in all, the watermark was still there. I tried workaround #1 and it
worked!!! I'm now watermark-free and also my FPS are as  high as they
can be =]

P.S. I'm running Linux Mint 15 (upgraded from 14) on a HP Sleekbook with
an A8 processor and dual graphics: Radeon HD 7600G + 8500M

Packages, which is subscribed to fglrx-installer in Ubuntu.

  "Unsupported hardware" watermark appears when FGLRX is installed on
  13.04

Status in “fglrx-installer” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed
Status in “fglrx-installer-updates” package in Ubuntu:

  The driver included with the package fglrx in 13.04 has an issue with
  unsupported hardware. The newer driver that ships with fglrx-updates
  seems to have corrected this issue. Please install the fglrx-updates
  package if possible. If you must stick with the older fglrx package,
  you may use one of the below workarounds. But be aware, you will not
  be able to use tools such as aticonfig.

  [Older
Description]-------------------------------------------------------------------
  On the latest daily release of Raring, a watermark/overlay shows in the
bottom-right corner of the screen when fglrx or fglrx-updates is installed. It
reads "Unsupported hardware" and has the AMD logo above it on top of a
semi-transparent black background.

  This watermark is essentially equivalent to the "Testing use only"
  that appears when the proprietary beta drivers from AMD's website are
  installed. Therefore, the same workaround applies:

  [Workaround] (USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!)
  Step 1) Create and save shell script with the following contents:
  #!/bin/sh
  DRIVER=/usr/lib/fglrx/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so
  for x in $(objdump -d $DRIVER|awk '/call/&&/EnableLogo/{print
"\\x"$2"\\x"$3"\\x"$4"\\x"$5"\\x"$6}'); do
  sed -i "s/$x/\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90/g" $DRIVER
  done

  Step 2) Make the script executable
  Step 3) Run the script
  Step 4) Log out and log back in

  ----

  If the above workaround doesn't work for you, an alternative is to try
  the version of /etc/ati/control from the fglrx that shipped with
  Quantal.

  Step 1) Save a backup of the old control file, just in case -- sudo cp
  /etc/ati/control /etc/ati/control.watermark

  Step 2) Download the Quantal fglrx source package from
  https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/quantal/+source/fglrx-
  installer/2:9.000-0ubuntu3/+files/fglrx-installer_9.000.orig.tar.gz --
  you will NOT need to build or install it.

  Step 3) Open that tar file with Archive Manager. Find etc/ati/control
  and extract it.

  Step 4) Copy the freshly extracted version of control to
  /etc/ati/control then restart your system.

  [Original
  After upgrading to raring and installing the latest fglrx package from the
archive I get a AMD branded overlay in the bottom RHS of the screen with the
message 'Unsupported hardware'.

  Package: fglrx-updates 2:9.010-0ubuntu1
  NonfreeKernelModules: fglrx
  ApportVersion: 2.8-0ubuntu1