Hi Raymond,

I'm not quite sure what is supposed to be set. I installed hda-jack-
restask, it gives 4 settings to change. Green, Pink, CD and SPDIF. I set
the green output to each of the available options (headphones, 3 line
outs, 4 internal speakers). After each apply I tested a song, moved the
volume and wasn't able to get any audio going.

Are there more steps I should take to troubleshoot the issue.

Packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  No sound on laptop

Status in “alsa-driver” package in Ubuntu:

  Ubuntu 12.10
  Asus W7J Laptop
  Soundcard: Realtek ALC600

  I am not getting ANY sound from speakers or headphones. I have tried
  playing CD's, looking at YouTube videos..no sound. The only sould I
  ever get is on initial startup when the ASUS logo appears.  I have
  looked at other forums. and looked at alsamixer, there is nothing in
  the master column apart from 00 and definately NO Auto Mute!  Yes I
  have made sure nothing is muted as well.  I have had a look in the
  BIOS setttings and no luck there either.

        00

   master

  (nothing between the "00" and "master" and no column above the "00")

  The fields I have are below.

  <    Master    >     PCM             CD           S/PDIF     S/PDIF
  Default      Beep        Caller ID       Off-hook

  I have also gone and re-installed Ubuntu..still no luck.
  Please Help