Are you still affected by this bug? Please tell us your Ubuntu version.
Thank you very much!

Packages, which is subscribed to gimp in Ubuntu.

  gimp-2.6 crashed with SIGSEGV in gimp_gradient_get_color_at()

Status in mr:
  Expired
Status in “gimp” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: gimp

  Gimp 2.6.6 seems to load and create images fine, but no tools work,
  and eventually it crashes.  I enabled apport so that there is a crash
  report, but I just want to point out one unusual thing I noticed.  In
  the window where you actually edit the image, down in the bottom left
  of the window frame, there are the cursor coordinates, right?  Ever
  since this problem has been happening, the cursor coords are usually
  grayed out (not always), and they are always some combination of nan,
  -nan, inf, and -inf.  Never an actual number!  Hope that helps!

  ProblemType: Crash
  ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/gimp-2.6
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  Package: gimp 2.6.6-0ubuntu1
  ProcCmdline: gimp-2.6
  ProcEnviron:
   PATH=(custom, user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  Signal: 11
  SourcePackage: gimp
  StacktraceTop:
   gimp_gradient_get_color_at ()
   ?? ()
   ?? ()
   ?? ()
   ?? () from /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
  Title: gimp-2.6 crashed with SIGSEGV in gimp_gradient_get_color_at()
  Uname: Linux 2.6.28-11-generic x86_64
  UserGroups: adm admin cdrom crontab dialout fuse games haldaemon kvm lpadmin
mythtv plugdev polkituser pulse pulse-access pulse-rt sambashare ssh vboxusers
vde2-net www-data