Some more feedback. The install to hard disk seems to go well. Running
from hard disk, using nouveau driver, seems at first glance OK. I left
the system, later took out of screen saver. Background and top bar and
left side bar ok. But while attempting to open the system setting, the
initial menu only shows a rectangle with a king of garbled noisy
pattern, nothing readable. Opening a terminal by ctrl-alt-t opens a
comparable rectangle. Nothing readable, some kind of garbled noisy
pattern (there seems to be some regualarity, random colers/spots). So
the nouveau driver still has some issues. After opening ctrl-alt-F1
terminal (that works OK) and installing nvidia-173 (suitable for my
graphics card) and a reboot, the original black background issue is
again present. So the bug is confirmed using the daily build 13.10
downloaded 28-may-2013. I guess it would make sense to perform the
apport-collect thing. But as the terminal is not visible, I need to type
blind. Please advise on course of action. Attempt to perform the apport-
collect (might install a startup script, maybe some logging into file).
Can install the script after starting into one of the resque options. Or
does it make sense to kick out nvidia and continue on nouveau? Please
advise.

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau in Ubuntu.

  10de:0322 12.10: Black screen with GeForce FX 5200 card

Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in “xserver-xorg-video-nouveau” package in Ubuntu:

  Having installed Ubuntu 12.10, a black screen now appears after logon
  (only the cursor is visible). Everything (graphically) up until logon
  is fine.

  On my previous build (12.04), I was using Nvidia's drivers. As well,
  this did not happen with the nouveau drivers either.

  WORKAROUND: This seems to be a problem with my Nvidia FX5200 graphics
  card as when I removed this and used the integrated graphics (Intel
  82865G) instead, everything was fine.

  WORKAROUND: Using the following kernel parameters gets me to the desktop but
the OS is very unresponsive:
  nomodeset

  ---
  ApportVersion: 2.6.1-0ubuntu6
  Architecture: i386
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  graham     1720 F.... pulseaudio
  CRDA:
   country GB:
    (2402 - 2482 @ 40), (N/A, 20)
    (5170 - 5250 @ 40), (N/A, 20)
    (5250 - 5330 @ 40), (N/A, 20), DFS
    (5490 - 5710 @ 40), (N/A, 27), DFS
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.10
  HibernationDevice: RESUME=UUID=bd714dd8-b111-42c1-88b5-0b32b12b0bff
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.10 "Quantal Quetzal" - Release i386 (20121017.2)
  MachineType: Dell Computer Corporation OptiPlex GX270
  MarkForUpload: True
  Package: linux (not installed)
  ProcFB: 0 nouveaufb
  ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.5.0-17-generic
root=UUID=f4138a35-ef8f-4c93-a963-09e6b2ae85e3 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
  RelatedPackageVersions:
   linux-restricted-modules-3.5.0-17-generic N/A
   linux-backports-modules-3.5.0-17-generic  N/A
   linux-firmware                            1.95
  RfKill:
   0: phy0: Wireless LAN
    Soft blocked: no
    Hard blocked: no
  Tags:  quantal running-unity
  Uname: Linux 3.5.0-17-generic i686
  UserGroups: adm cdrom dip lpadmin plugdev sambashare sudo
  dmi.bios.date: 06/26/2006
  dmi.bios.vendor: Dell Computer Corporation
  dmi.bios.version: A07
  dmi.board.name: 0FG015
  dmi.board.vendor: Dell Computer Corp.
  dmi.chassis.type: 6
  dmi.chassis.vendor: Dell Computer Corporation
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnDellComputerCorporation:bvrA07:bd06/26/2006:svnDellComputerCorporation:pnOptiPlexGX270:pvr:rvnDellComputerCorp.:rn0FG015:rvr:cvnDellComputerCorporation:ct6:cvr:
  dmi.product.name: OptiPlex GX270
  dmi.sys.vendor: Dell Computer Corporation