I'm experiencing the same issue in Raring on a Macbook Pro 8.1 with a
BCM4331.

  delay in connecting to wireless networks with Broadcom Corporation
  BCM4328 on startup and suspend/resume

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:
  Expired

Bug description:
  I have the Broadcom STA wireless driver activated in the Hardware
  Drivers. I'm connecting to a WPA wireless network. Every time that the
  wireless tries to reconnect either at startup, suspend/resume or even
  just disconnecting and reconnecting on the wireless by clicking the
  network in network manager it takes anywhere from 15-60 seconds. When
  using the network from OSX connection takes a second or two max, it's
  the same with other laptops on the network. I think there may be a bug
  with either the Broadcom supplied driver or the way it's used in
  network-manager. I can't find any other mentions of this issues except

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/354782

  The machine is a Macbook 3,1 with a Broadcom BCM4328

  02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4328
  802.11a/b/g/n [14e4:4328] (rev 03)

  lsb_release -rd
  Release:      9.04

  network-manager:
    Installed: 0.7.1~rc4.1.cf199a964-0ubuntu2
    Candidate: 0.7.1~rc4.1.cf199a964-0ubuntu2
    Version table:
   *** 0.7.1~rc4.1.cf199a964-0ubuntu2 0
          500 http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au jaunty/main Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status