I have observed this problem as well, using 13.04 x86_64,
3.6.1-0ubuntu1. My scanner is a HP Photosmart Premium c309a, connected
via the network.

When scanning multiple pages, the scanner will not eject the last page
and waits for additional pages to be fed. It seems it's not able to
detect that there are no more pages in the feeder.

Packages, which is subscribed to simple-scan in Ubuntu.

  simplescan does not release last page when scanning all pages from
  sheet feeder

Status in Simple Scan:
  Triaged
Status in “simple-scan” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: simple-scan

  Maverick 32 bits, all updates installed.
  When scanning multiple pages from the sheet feeder in one go, Simplescan does
not release the last page until either a new scan is started or the program is
closed. It stops scanning though, so I assume it does recognize that the sheet
feeder is empty.
  This is awkward when scanning double sides pages, because I would need to do
the odd pages first, then reload all pages into the sheet feeder and scan the
even pages. To do so now, I must pull the last page out of the scanner with
mild force.

  cheers
  Tom