Try going to the sound preferences and selecting the digital output
instead of analog. Unfortunately the virtual 7.1 surround is software
based, so you can only get it on windows. With digital output you should
at least get good stereo sound though.

Packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  [USB-Audio - Plantronics GameCom 780] Terrible support for this
  headset

Status in “alsa-driver” package in Ubuntu:

  Today I bought a Plantronics GameCom 780 headset, I pluged into the
  USB port whishing it would work out of the box, but it didn't
  properly. First of all, I'm using Kubuntu 13.04, Linux Kernel version
  is 3.8.0-19, and, for example, I can't hear nothing if volume is less
  than 24%, if I put it at 20% I won't hear anything, it gets muted.
  Micprohone is working quite well, but the function "Loudness" isn't
  working, I typed Alsamixer and I selected the soundcard of the
  headset, Loudness appears there but it appears desactivated, and I
  can't enable it :/

  My problems seems to be similar to this:
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+bug/961481

  Do you know if this will be solved in future versions of the Linux
  Kernel? maybe with a new PulseAudio version? what about Alsamixer? I'm
  new in Linux, and this kind of problems are terrible, I know it's not
  Linux fault, it's GameCom fault, they should make better support for
  Linux...

  Thank you (sorry for my bad English)