Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make
Ubuntu better. The issue you are reporting is an upstream one and it
would be nice if somebody having it could send the bug to the developers
of the software by following the instructions at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Upstream/GNOME. If you have done so, please
tell us the number of the upstream bug (or the link), so we can add a
bugwatch that will inform us about its status. Thanks in advance.

** Changed in: nautilus (Ubuntu)

  Nautilus does not properly navigate symbolic links

Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:

  Test case:
  1. Create a directory in Home called Folder
  2. Right click on Folder in Nautilus and select 'make link'
  3. Drag created link to Desktop
  4. Double-click on Link to Folder to open it in Nautilus

  Clicking the back arrow in Nautilus behaves as it should--it takes you
  back to Desktop, not the parent folder of the target of the link.

  However, the architecture displayed near the top of the Nautilus
  window shows the parent directory of the target, not of the link
  (i.e., it shows [Home][Folder], not [Home][Desktop][Link to Folder]

  Pressing alt+up also takes you to the parent of the target, not the
  link.

  Is this a purposeful change?  Nautilus did not behave this way in
  12.04, and the old way seems to me more convenient and less confusing.

  Ubuntu 13.04 64 bit