** Information type changed from Public Security to Public

Packages, which is subscribed to network-manager-applet in Ubuntu.

  nm-applet fails to alert the user when the Cloned MAC address cannot
  be set

Status in Network Manager GNOME Applet:
  New
Status in “network-manager-applet” package in Ubuntu:

  I have a netbook whose wifi driver seems to be refusing to allow a custom MAC
  address to be set.  The Network Manager applet allows me to enter a value in
  the "Cloned MAC address" field, but when it comes time to actually set the MAC
  address and the driver doesn't accept it, the applet fails to notify me of the
  problem and exposes my hardware MAC address to the wireless network anyway.

  NetworkManager does log the problem to syslog, but relatively few users will
  notice this because the UI makes it look like everything worked just fine, and
  it doesn't solve the problem of quietly exposing the hardware MAC address
  without the user's permission.

  This is on an i386 Ubuntu 13.04 (raring) system, with network-manager-
  gnome 0.9.8.0-1ubuntu2. The wlan driver is rt8800pci.