However, the bug is not in emacs23, but in the packages which declare a
dependency on a nonexistent package.  I'm marking this as Incomplete
because it needs to be split up into tasks for the packages which need a
change.

("Tasks" are the items which show up on a yellow background at the top
of the page in Launchpad. Add tasks by clicking "also affects package
..." and picking a package you want to add a task for.)

(Too bad I cannot go back and edit some minor inaccuracies in the
previous comment.  Anyway, "emacs" fills the role you propose for
"emacs-default" and "emacsen" [roughly] the role you postulate for
"emacs", but it doesn't have a meaningful version number for specifying
stuff like "GNU Emacs >= 23 <24".)

** Changed in: emacs23 (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to emacs23 in Ubuntu.

  emacs dependency inhibits using latest version

Status in “emacs23” package in Ubuntu:

  Several emacs-related packages (list attached) depend on "emacs-
  snapshot".  There is no longer any such package!

  The packages alternately depend on meta-package "emacs", but that
  claims to pull in the recommended emacs, today emacs23.

  I want to have only emacs24, but I don't want to give up on all the add-ons;
"mmm-mode" is a very useful.
  But, having two versions of emacs (23 and 24) is not only wasteful, but also
a potential source of trouble -- having two potential targets for an "info"
request, for example.

  So, I Not-So-Humbly recommend the following.

  Rename the package that pulls in the recommended version "emacs-default".  [
Or some other similar name ]
  KEEP "emacs" as a virtual package name.

  Have "emacs23-nox", "emacs23-lucid", ... PROVIDES "emacs23", and "emacs23"
PROVIDES "emacs".
  Likewise "emacs24-nox", "emacs24-whatever" PROVIDES "emacs24", and "emacs24"
PROVIDES "emacs".

  Then, have the add-ons like "mmm-mode" DEPENDS ON "emacs" if they are
version-agnostic, or -- as is done for Python (e.g.)  --
  DEPENDS ON "emacs >=23.1" AND "emacs <24".