Just pure speculation on my part, but seeing where Ubuntu Touch is
headed and how that has a lock screen, could a screensaver perhaps be
based off of that?

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-screensaver in Ubuntu.

  Change default screensaver away from "black screen"

Status in “gnome-screensaver” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: gnome-screensaver

  1. Ubuntu 9.04
  2. gnome-screensaver 2.24.0-0ubuntu6

  On two separate recent 9.04 installations I was banging my head
  against the wall trying to figure out why, no matter what settings I
  chose, that gnome-power-manager was turning off my screen after 10
  minutes. It never occurred to me that the issue was that the default
  screensaver in gnome-screensaver is the black screen. It gave me no
  indication that a screensaver was turning on because it didn't look
  like a screensaver.

  Changing the default screensaver to something other than black seems
  the obvious choice. Alternatively, and probably more appropriate - is
  to bring the gnome-screensaver and gnome-power-manager together under
  a single interface.