Actually I also had the impression that the touchpad responds somehow slow.
I use a ASUS Zenbook UX31A and found this bug report by accident.
While everything else is configurable via gui settings the "tap to click
response" is just slow.

For me

synclient FastTaps=1 MaxDoubleTapTime=100

fixed the problem but I don't understand why it isn't the default. I
know other people which use Ubuntu and sometimes tap a few times because
the default settings just feel unresponsive.

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.

  touchpad tap-to-click response delayed .5 seconds

Status in “xserver-xorg-input-synaptics” package in Ubuntu:
  Expired

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: xserver-xorg-input-mouse

  This almost seems related to bug # 54191, but I can't reproduce it the
  way that bug states.  I'm running Karmic Koala fully updated and just
  enabled "Enable mouse clicks with touchpad" using the gnome-mouse-
  properties GUI.  While it now accepts left-clicks by tapping the
  touchpad, it seems to take about 1/2 seconds for it to respond.  The
  left mouse hard-buttons (above and below the touchpad) still respond
  immediately.

  hardware is Latitude D630
  Synaptics Touchpad