I'm reporting this as further info for this gnome-keyring error:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-keyring/+bug/575877

(Couldn'd add this report to that bug because Launchpad couldn't find
any gnome keyring errors when I asked it to check. I presume it was only
prepared to look for xfce4-power-manager bugs. This is neverthless a
report of further failures related to this keyring problem.)

This happened:

Machine idle without much ado for some minutes after startup.
Clicked icon to permit software updates.
Entered PASSWORD.
Pressed install.
Left computer. Came back.
Keyring PASSWORD request window was active.
Software Updater had left an ERROR MESSAGE: update failed.
Yet the Software Updater icon indicated 'restart required'.
Entered PASSWORD for the keyring form.
Pressed the Software Updater's restart icon.
The reboot then asked for a PASSWORD as well.
The PASSWORD request came with an ERROR MESSAGE: "System policy prevents reboot
when other users are logged in".
Paused just a few moments while contemplating my distrust of all this PASSWORD
gubbins and now this business of other users being logged in. (for further
distrust and dismay over the keyring problem, see bug #575877).
The reboot form was impatient. It disappeared.
Another ERROR MESSAGE appeared: "Reboot failed. Failed to request reboot.
Please shutdown manually".

The authentication log had this to say about it: see attached. (It's now
11.18am. I've been doing this report for about half an hour. You can see
that CRON has meanwhile been opening and closing a root session like it
was doing the can-can.)

"Is this bug a security vulnerability?"

Package: xfce4-power-manager 1.2.0-1ubuntu2
ApportVersion: 2.9.2-0ubuntu8.1
Architecture: amd64