Public bug reported:

Currently, nm-applet uses the model name of the wifi interface to
identify it. This means that if you have two of the same adapter, nm-
applet will show them both under the same name. This is confusing.

Expected behaviour: show different names.

Not expected behaviour: Please don't name them sequentially (Atheros ZZ-
Q1n 1, Atheros ZZ-Q1n 2, Atheros ZZ-Q1n 3).

Suggestion: If you see that there are multiple interfaces with the same
name, add the interface dev to the name. For example: Atheros AAAaa-
112b, Atheros AB-444 (wlan3), Atheros AB-444 (wlan4), Broadcom XY-123,
Zumba MN-0PQr.

This bug applies to the menu I get when clicking on the network widget
in the gnome bar, to the dialog I get when I select "connect to hidden
wi-fi network", and various others.

I am on Ubuntu 13.04, but I don't imagine it's ever worked differently.

$ NetworkManager --version
0.9.8.0

** Affects: network-manager (Ubuntu)

  nm-applet shows multiple interfaces under the same name

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu: