Thinking a little more about what I've been able to observe, I suspect
that deja-dup is launching a fresh duplicity backup while the previous
one is still running due to some sort of lock fail, or assumption that
the former job couldn't possibly still be running. This new process
cleans up, removing the partially completed backup and files required by
the first instance, cause the first instance to abort when it tries to
access these resources. deja-dup doesn't notice because it is dealing
with the new duplicity job and couldn't care less about what is
happening with the first instance.

Packages, which is subscribed to deja-dup in Ubuntu.

  Fresh backup started rather than current backup resumed, backups never
  complete

Status in “deja-dup” package in Ubuntu:

  About 2 months ago, I added several GB of new files that need to be
  backed up to Ubuntu One.

  Since then, deja-dup incremental backups have never completed. The
  backup is happily stopped and resumed for a few days, and things
  progress - I've seen it gets as far as uploading over 80 25MB
  .difftar.gpg files over a few days. However, eventually deja-dup
  decides to start a new backup and the  incomplete one is removed.

  There are no alerts or warnings that the backups are not working. I've
  reported this as Bug #1210493.

  I suspect that what is happening is that the duplicity is failing, but
  Deja-dup seeing this as a success. I cannot find any useful log files
  to investigate further.

  Package: deja-dup 26.0-0ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.8.0-27.40-generic 3.8.13.4
  Uname: Linux 3.8.0-27-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.9.2-0ubuntu8.3
  Architecture: amd64