As I just figured out this behaviour appears after switching from "A4"
to "A4 Borderless". After printing the options vanished when the
printing dialogue is called next time. Switching back to "A4" and
printing something, next time calling the printing dialogue the options
are available again.

Packages, which is subscribed to evince in Ubuntu.

  cannot print duplex

Status in “evince” package in Ubuntu:

  although duplexer is installed and enabled in system settings evince
  does not provide the duplex option - I only can print single-sided.

  Package: evince 3.6.1-1ubuntu3
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.8.0-27.40-generic 3.8.13.4
  Uname: Linux 3.8.0-27-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.9.2-0ubuntu8.3
  Architecture: amd64