This looks like it has been fixed, I can't reproduce anymore. Is anyone
still experiencing the doubling of urls?

** Changed in: pidgin (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to pidgin in Ubuntu.

  pidgin pastes url twice when dragged from firefox3 to pidgin send box

Status in Pidgin:
  New
Status in “pidgin” package in Ubuntu:

  When I want to send a URL to a friend I like to double click in the
  address bar of Firefox and it highlights the entire URL and then I can
  drag it to the pidgin window and drop it in the send box. However,
  what actually happens is when I drag the URL it pastes it twice.

  Example of what you'll see in the send box after dropping:

http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1568171329http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1568171329

  What it should be:

  http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1568171329

  If I highlight the URL by any other means and don't drag it but
  instead right-click and Copy, then go to Pidgin and right-click and
  Paste, then it works properly.

  Pidgin 2.4.1 and 2.5.0