Bug 945987 is related, which is why I mentioned it in this bug. But I
don't believe it's the same; it seems to me that 945987 is referring to
the inability to change encoding settings from the GUI. But it doesn't
deal specifically with the problem that VBR headers aren't added to MP3.

This problem is mentioned in the comments for that bug
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rhythmbox/+bug/945987/comments/28),
but I couldn't find a separate bug report submitted for it.

Packages, which is subscribed to rhythmbox in Ubuntu.

  Rhythmbox does not add VBR headers when ripping CDs to MP3

Status in “rhythmbox” package in Ubuntu:

  When ripping CDs to MP3 using Rhythmbox, by default they are VBR,
  because this is the default preset that is used in
  /usr/share/gstreamer-0.10/presets/GstLameMP3Enc.prs (cbr=false). The
  problem is that the VBR headers aren't added to the MP3 files, for
  example:

  $ mp3val 01\ -\ Gregory\ Alan\ Isakov\ -\ Dandelion\ Wine.mp3
  Analyzing file "01 - Gregory Alan Isakov - Dandelion Wine.mp3"...
  WARNING: "/home/bmaupin/Desktop/Gregory Alan Isakov/This Empty Northern
Hemisphere/01 - Gregory Alan Isakov - Dandelion Wine.mp3": VBR detected, but no
VBR header is present. Seeking may not work properly.
  INFO: "/home/bmaupin/Desktop/Gregory Alan Isakov/This Empty Northern
Hemisphere/01 - Gregory Alan Isakov - Dandelion Wine.mp3": 9559 MPEG frames
(MPEG 1 Layer III), +ID3v2, no VBR header
  Done!

  This causes most programs to report incorrect track lengths, including
  Rhythmbox itself and Ubuntu's default Nautilus file manager. This
  seems to be a huge oversight considering this is the default behavior
  using the default apps. I'm not sure when this started because I only
  use the LTS versions of Ubuntu, but I know it wasn't a problem in
  10.04, because it was using a gstreamer pipeline with xingmux as
  opposed to gstreamer presets, which from what I understand don't
  support xingmux (which I believe adds the VBR headers).

  I currently have to fix any MP3s that I generate with Rhythmbox like
  so:

  sudo apt-get install vbrfix
  cd /path/to/mp3s
  find . -type f -iname '*.mp3' -exec vbrfix {} {} \;
  rm vbrfix.log vbrfix.tmp

  This bug is related to:
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rhythmbox/+bug/945987

  Package: rhythmbox-data 2.96-0ubuntu4.3 [modified:
usr/share/gstreamer-0.10/presets/GstLameMP3Enc.prs
usr/share/rhythmbox/rhythmbox.gep]
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.5.0-39.60~precise1-generic 3.5.7.17
  Uname: Linux 3.5.0-39-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: fglrx
  ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu17.4
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Wed Sep  4 09:54:54 2013
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
(20130213)
  MarkForUpload: True
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron: