I get this sometimes, but for example right now couldn't repro it.

But I have basically same problem when I create a file in an external
program and save it to my mounted partition (ext4) - I have to refresh
the folder manually. Possibly the same problem?

13.04, Nautilus 3.6.3.

  The desktop may not refresh automatically

Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:

  Try this:

  1- Show desktop.
  2- Take a screenshot (with Print Screen key) and save to the desktop.
  3- The screenshot icon appears automatically in the desktop? try again
several times to verify it.

  Sometimes I have to refresh the desktop with F5 key because the icon
  did not appear.

  Package: nautilus 1:3.5.5-0ubuntu1
  Uname: Linux 3.5.0-8-generic i686
  ApportVersion: 2.4-0ubuntu6
  Architecture: i386
  CasperVersion: 1.320
  Date: Thu Aug  9 12:50:11 2012
  GsettingsChanges:
   b'org.gnome.nautilus.window-state' b'geometry' b"'800x550+224+24'"
   b'org.gnome.nautilus.window-state' b'sidebar-width' b'204'
  LiveMediaBuild: Ubuntu 12.10 "Quantal Quetzal" - Alpha i386 (20120807.2)
  SourcePackage: nautilus