I'm running gnome-disk-utility 3.6.1 on Ubuntu 13.10.

I see this same error whenever I try to format any USB drive at all.
Perhaps all of my USB drives already have partition tables.  In any
case, the format command should be able to format any disk, no matter
what is on it already.

** Summary changed:

- Cannot format disk with new partition table
+ Cannot format disk with existing partition table: Error synchronizing after
initial wipe: Timed out waiting for object

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-disk-utility in Ubuntu.

  Cannot format disk with existing partition table: Error synchronizing
  after initial wipe: Timed out waiting for object

Status in “gnome-disk-utility” package in Ubuntu:

  lsb_release -rd
  Release:      12.10

  uname -a
  Linux matt-pc 3.5.0-17-generic #28-Ubuntu SMP Tue Oct 9 19:31:23 UTC 2012
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

  apt-cache policy gnome-disk-utility
  gnome-disk-utility:
    Installed: 3.6.1-0ubuntu1
    Candidate: 3.6.1-0ubuntu1
    Version table:
   *** 3.6.1-0ubuntu1 0
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal/main amd64 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  Steps to reproduce:
  1.  Select target disk to the left.
  2.  Click the gear button on the top right.
  3.  Select "Format Disk"
  4.  Choose any settings
  5.  Click "Format"
  6.  Wait 10-15 seconds for error to appear
  *Note:  This is only reproducible if there is an existing partition table on
the device.  I was unable to reproduce the issue if the partition table is
clear.