The arrow points inwards. It is somewhat like the 2nd icon shown on wikipedia
link:(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a0/Line_waves03-1-out.png/32px-Line_waves03-1-out.png)
...only the arrow is not pointed outwards and neither is it starting 'from' the
center. It is rather moving inwards, 'towards' the center and is starting from
below the image.

Packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  No sound/low sound in Ubuntu 13.04

Status in “alsa-driver” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  I have recently installed Ubuntu 13.04 alongside Windows XP on my PC. The
problem that I am facing is with sound.
  First, I will tell about the Hardware (sound card and ports). This is the
Sound/Audio drivers info:

  (Azalia)
  Integrated High Definition audio
  Realtek ALC 880 chipset
  Supports up to 8 audio channels
  Dolby Pro Logic II compatible
  Dolby 5.1

  There are 3 ports in the front and 6 at the back, of which only two are for
Audio output (3.5mm jacks). One at the front and the other at the back.
  I have tried both of them, by connecting my Speakers/Earphones but from my
understanding, the front one does not give out sound at all, whereas the one at
the back gives out sound at a very low volume. I have tried Alsamixer and all
sound settings, but none help.

  The kernel is 8.8.0-27-generic. I have also tried 8.9.0-rc8 but it did
  not solve any problems, and gave me another set of problems.

  P.S- I have tried it in Windows too, and the speakers/earphones work
  fine on it.