Well, I just had the same issue in Ubuntu 13.04, of course it didn't
occur after a distro upgrade, I believe Thunderbird just updated, and I
noticed compiz also crashed and restarted (updated @ night while I was
asleep, and woke to find the error report about the crash, and all my
windows were in a single workspace, which happens when compiz restarts).
Then when I went to open Thunderbird it was fullscreen.

To fix this you can actually just delete localstore.rdf in the
Thunderbird profile, if you want to be on the safe side just rename it
to localstore.rdf.bak or localstore.rdf.old or something, then when you
restart it and it creates the new file, and you're comfortable with it,
delete the old file.

It is totally safe to delete though, because if it doesn't exist when
Thunderbird opens it automatically creates it with default values (which
is basically no values at all). Then when you change the size of the
window to what you prefer, it will update the file with the appropriate
values to remember how the window was.

And this is what's so amazing about text based configuration, in Window$
with a program that uses the registry for everything, you'd have to find
the specific registry entry, and deleting it would likely break the
program (and maybe even cause BSoD), so you'd likely have to find out
what the key is and what value it's supposed to have.

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  Thunderbird starts in a full-screen mode and cannot be restored

Status in Mozilla Thunderbird Mail and News:
  New
Status in “thunderbird” package in Ubuntu:

  WORKAROUND:
  1. Edit ~/.thunderbird/*/localstore.rdf
  2. Search for:   sizemode="fullscreen"
  3. Change it to: sizemode="normal"

  ORIGINAL DESCRIPTION:
  Binary package hint: thunderbird

  I've tried clicking F11 in various of places and even all the rest of
  F-buttons, with Alt/Shift/Ctrl, and still no result. I've scrolled
  throughout the whole advanced configuration and there was nothing
  about full-screen mode. I don't have any extensions yet installed on
  my Thunderbird and I don't know what to do next.

  The problem has it basics because the profile that I've switched to,
  comes from previous Windows installation.

  I'm begging for Your help. It is stupid but really frustrating.

  ProblemType: Bug
  Architecture: i386