Public bug reported:

On the Nexus 4 it's nearly impossible to get cellular networking to
connect.

The only way I sometimes get it to connect is to manually turn off WiFi
and then reboot the phone. But even then it only connects like every
second try.

Having WiFi enabled (not even being in range of a known WiFi network)
seems to be enough to prevent cellular networking from connecting.

Roaming between WiFi and cellular (for example when leaving home) does
not work at all.

Attached you can find a syslog from my desperate try to get a mobile
connection. You should see around 5 reboots until I finally managed to
get some bytes through the cellular connection.

** Affects: network-manager (Ubuntu)

** Attachment added: "syslog"
   https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1231995/+attachment/3844651/+files/syslog

  Cellular networking on Nexus 4 doesn't really work at all

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu: