Hoped that would be enough, but it seems there's also need to address
the issue of unconditionally overriding the value in the
handle_detailed_physical_size().

I've just removed the code here (which works with my test case), but
that could well break something else... :/

Packages, which is subscribed to xorg-server in Ubuntu.

  DisplaySize setting not honored

Status in X.Org X server:
  Confirmed
Status in “xorg-server” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: xorg

  I have this in my xorg.conf:

  Section "Monitor"
          Identifier      "VG2230wm"
          Option          "DPMS"
          DisplaySize     444 277
          HorizSync       24-82
          VertRefresh     50-85
  EndSection

  However, xdpyinfo reports that it's not using it:

  screen #0:
    dimensions:    1680x1050 pixels (474x303 millimeters)

  This was working in 7.04, but broke when I upgraded to gusty somewhere
  around tribe 5.