I agree, auto would work well in our case and in Kylin (which would have
the default install of fcitx). As the ibus-daemon is going to be running
anyway, though if cjkv mode is not true, it'll have --panel disable but
for some reason this causes the ibus-daemon to now allow the engines to
work, at lease with my testing. So this could be a bug in ibus, as you
would think --panel disable just disables the ibus indicator...

Anyway +1 from me.

Packages, which is subscribed to language-selector in Ubuntu.

  Consider a change of the im-config default

Status in “im-config” package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in “language-selector” package in Ubuntu:

  Currently im-config is set to "cjkv mode" by default, i.e. if one of
  the cjkv languages is the selected display language, the "best" of
  installed input method frameworks is started automatically at login.
  Since only ibus is installed by default, it means that ibus is started
  in most cases. If a non-cjkv language is the selected display
  language, no input method framework is started via im-config.

  The rationale behind this default setting was to minimize the
  occurrences of surprise changes when im-switch was repaced by im-
  config. It also prevents that ibus is started (and the ibus icon
  shown) for users who don't even know what an input method is.

  The user can change the im-config mode via an UI in language-selector.

  In Ubuntu 13.10, with the integration in g-c-c between ibus and
  keyboard layout, ibus is always started anyway - by g-s-d. My tests
  indicate that an ibus input engine does not work reliably with the
  current im-config default if a non-cjkv language is the selected
  display language. You can fix it by selecting ibus explicitly via
  language-selector. However, given that most input settings now are in
  the new "Text Entry" tab in g-c-c, it makes little sense that you need
  to use language-selector first to make it work.

  I had an IRC conversation with bschaefer yesterday, and we concluded
  that changing the im-config default to ibus may be one way to make the
  "Text Entry" tab work out of the box. It would mean that the ibus-
  daemon is still always started, but western users wouldn't at least
  not be bothered by the ibus icon...

  Possibly it would be even better to change the default to "auto". It
  always starts the "best" of installed input method frameworks,
  irrespective of the selected display language. That would start ibus
  in most cases, but in e.g. UbuntuKylin, where Chinese is the language
  and fcitx installed by default, it would start fcitx.

  However, this suggestion is only applicable to Ubuntu and derivatives
  that use g-c-c. For e.g. Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Lubuntu the current
  "cjkv mode" default probably makes most sense.

  Since this input method stuff has become quite complex, further input
  to the discussion would be most welcome before we start writing
  patches.