I tried to reproduce this problem in Debian stable, and I cannot
reproduce it all.

If I manually gunzip the file and open it with jmol, it displays fine.
If I extract it with file-roller and open it in jmol, it displays fine
as well.

 Are you sure this is not a file-roller issue? Or maybe it is a Ubuntu-
specific issue.

Packages, which is subscribed to file-roller in Ubuntu.

  science PDB file is not processed correctly after extraction

Status in “file-roller” package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in “jmol” package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in “rasmol” package in Ubuntu:

  The affected archiv will be attached.

  When I open the archiv

  pdb163d.ent.gz

  with file roller, I get the compressed file shown in file-roller GUI,

  When I open it within the file-roller GUI with rasmol or jmol all
  works correct and the protein structure is shown.

  So, far so good.

  When I extract the compressed file to the filesystem, close file-roller,
because it is no longer needed.

  When I ttry then to open the file

  pdb163d.ent

  with rasmol or jmol it is not possible. The file is not anymore a
  appopriate format for those programs.

  Steps to reproduce:

  1.Install rasmol and jmol (oneof them may be enough)
  2.Donwlaod the file

  pdb163d.ent.gz

  from here,
  3.Extract the file to the filesytem with file-roller
  4.Try to open the file with right mouse click - > open with... ->  choose
rasmol or jmol as your choice
  5.See only a black visualisation or in jmol an error message(file not found
exception)

  Package: file-roller 3.6.1.1-0ubuntu1.1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.5.0-27.45-generic 3.5.7.7
  Uname: Linux 3.5.0-27-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: fglrx