Public bug reported:

Rhythmbox 2.98-0ubuntu5 0 running on Ubuntu 13.04

This is a long-standing problem that occasionally gets fixed (see Bug
#60326  and Bug #404218 ) but seems to re-occur with subsequent
releases.

All my mp3s are stored on a desktop PC on my home network in a directory
shared via Samba. I can set this as the music library for Rhythmbox on
my laptop and Rhythmbox scans it OK over the network. However, when it
comes to playback on my laptop, I hear the first half a second of a
track then silence. The track timer continues to move, as if playing
back but there's no sound.

If I navigate to the shared folder in Nautilus and double-click an mp3,
it plays back fine in Totem.

** Affects: rhythmbox (Ubuntu)

** Tags: network samba

Packages, which is subscribed to rhythmbox in Ubuntu.

  won't play from a samba share

Status in “rhythmbox” package in Ubuntu: