This extension enable icon/button bookmarks to be show in the "url bar".
You can personalize (add the ico bookmarks with the small arrow) the bar
to get this button from where you can use both middle and right click on
the bookmarks.

I have this button next to the home and reload button for example.

  Can't middle or right click on bookmarks to open in new tab

Status in DBus Menu:
  Won't Fix
Status in Unity global menubar extension for Firefox and Thunderbird:
  Triaged
Status in “firefox” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in “libdbusmenu” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: firefox

  With the new menu placed above the firefox window, I can no longer
  middle click a bookmark from the bookmarks menu to open in a new tab.
  No matter whether I left, middle or right click, it is treated as a
  left click and opens in my currently open tab.

  Steps to reproduce:
  Click "Bookmarks" menu and middle-click one of your bookmarks

  What should happen:
  That bookmark opens in a new tab

  What actually happens:
  That bookmark opens in the current tab

  Package: firefox 4.0~rc2+build3+nobinonly-0ubuntu2
  Date: Sun Apr  3 16:06:59 2011
  FirefoxPackages:
   firefox 4.0~rc2+build3+nobinonly-0ubuntu2
   flashplugin-installer N/A
   adobe-flashplugin N/A
   icedtea-plugin N/A
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Beta amd64 (20110330)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_AU:en
   LANG=en_AU.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash